Allegations made by the people are correct because they are the ones who are deprived!
By: M S Nazki
If there is a problem in PHE Mendhar then it can be safely concluded that it is all about funds being misused or embezzlement!
- It is a pity that when so much has been written on the functioning of the Department of PHE in Sub Division Mendhar something should have been done by the concerned officials but nothing has been.
- The entire story has its roots in the past when works were sanctioned, funds allocated yet the work done was in a slipshod manner and the output was nothing as compared to the inputs dissolved.
- That was the past for which no one will be accountable and the reason being that either they have gone home after packing their bags officially and finally or they have been posted elsewhere.
- The politicians of that time are defunct although their signatures would be there on the sanctioned schemes lying in the files which no one has the time to read and no one will ever do it.
- But where do the people who are at the receiving end go? They have to deal with almost the same set of officials, with almost identical mannerisms but of course with radical changes in faces because the predecessor and the incoming incumbent are two different individuals but the school of thought is the same.
- The people after seeing the past have come to the conclusion that when you are dealing with frauds and liars, listen more to what they don’t say than what they do. I had earlier also mentioned that the officials and the staff of PHE Sub Division Mendhar speak a lot but do little on the ground.
- Another conclusive conclusion thing they have arrived at is that corruption free Mendhar will truly be in a future impossible tense because many people coming and going out have devolved on the most possible theorem that doing nothing and promising more is the best way to pass their tenures and whatever comes in is an additional bonus and this story (which I am doing) is directly related to this enigma.
- In the end because of blind immunity to reality and impunity of justified corruption in the department, it is always the hard working, suffering, struggling, less privileged locals who are all the sacrificial lamb in times of disaster and calamities through their well catered embezzlement system.
The PHE department in Sub Division Mendhar works on some well defined paradigms. It is not that they do not want to work. They definitely want but will never exert themselves. It is not that they do not know the places from where the complaints flow. They very well know that too but will not listen to anyone. If they act, invariably it would be half action taken and the other half never gets completed and the general response is to tell the people that funds are not available. The basic format is that they do not want people to be well informed, for when they are well informed and start thinking for themselves, the officials will have nothing to do, hence the very concept of their being there will disappear from the landscape of Mendhar. The officials think that the people are stupid and in thus spend their tenures with an inclination that more stupid the people, more stronger are the men in chair.
I The story of lift scheme from Chhatral to Mendhar:
*This was yet another project that was started with intention that seemed good, locals were excited and the enthusiasm of people and administration was touching the skies.
- I have time and again mentioned that starts in Mendhar are always great but midway through everything deflates. In this case also the same happened.
- Lift scheme from Chhatral to Pathanateer of Sub Division Mendhar started in the year 2009 but has not been completed till date.
- The reasons for the same are not known and perhaps this scheme went downhill because of fund manipulation.
- As per the reports available A massive amount of Rs 3.25 crore/- was sanctioned and seeing the condition of the project as of now it can be safely concluded that so much money could not have been utilized here.
- The people and the up and coming social activists suggest the same may and say that the money has been embezzled because such a thing was not an uncommon thing in Mendhar in those days. What to say, even now it is the same scenario prevailing with no holds barred attitude.
- If a high level inquiry is ordered into this scam then plenty would be found out as regards this people’s project lying defunct and in shambles.
- This is nothing but a reality on the ground as I would not be talking like block head casting aspersions on officials.
- If this scheme would have been carried to its logical conclusion it obviously would have been the people who would have benefited, but it was not to be! Mendhar is a beautiful place if you take the corrupt system and their minions out of the equation here. Worse than a set of corrupt officials are an incompetent one, not least because having the second characteristic does not exclude the first one. One can feel the same in Sub Division Mendhar if you speak to disillusioned and disinterested people who are living because they have too. It is by virtue of stop gap arrangements in the form of innovations with which they are surviving! But patience is giving in somewhere! And this can be noticed!