The demand which is genuine!
By: M S Nazki
Mendhar is the biggest Sub Division in District Poonch. It has been denied many facilities but this one is a dire necessity. When a DPR has been submitted for an oxygen plant then it should be approved and sanctioned?
- Mendhar has a Sub Division Hospital and trust me it is functioning well. In the past, due to frequent ceasefire violations on the LOC the casualties used to be evacuated and treated here and those that were serious used to be evacuated to GMC Jammu. That scenario cannot be counted out though it is relative peace at the moment.
- The Hospital is well equipped to deal with diseases that are common and also some bigger ones which can be managed by the doctors. The hospital has a wide array of equipment and is used from time to time.
- But this is a time when a very serious disease has struck humanity and is taking out people with rapidity. Such a rapid termination of human beings, people have never heard or seen by the people here as the virus seems uncontrollable.
- The rural areas and interiors are highly vulnerable and no one knows as to what is going to happen and when. Who is going to get affected and by whom and when the oxygen cylinder would be required is a thing which no one can predict.
- Though the things in District Poonch seem to be under control apparently as of now but no one knows as to what will happen and when. Over and above Sub Division Mendhar is a big land mass with population bigger than other places in District Poonch like Surankote and Mandi.
- The dependency on Sub-District Hospital Mendhar is huge and hence it has to be equipped with facilities and the foremost amongst them is an oxygen Plant as of now and I do not have to tell the reasons.
- Though adequate oxygen cylinders are there, why not an oxygen plant because that would be of immense help in case of emergency which is not a distant thing during these times.
- Advocate Nadeem Hussein Khanto day while addressing a Press Conference was stressing upon this immensely important point that to fight the virus the best option is to remain indoors but then that is going to hurt for a long time because how can one live empty belly.
- Obviously sooner or later the people will venture out to make a living and this is bound to leave them vulnerable. Although they would be more careful this time around (hopefully they are) yet the fact is that they would be vulnerable to getting infected and if that happens obviously oxygen cylinder to breathe is going to come into picture. The problem would be in multiples if the infections multiply?
- Thus the plant is all the more necessary. Though at the moment the things are well under control but who knows what happens tomorrow. We should be prepared for the worse, Nadeem emphasized!
Health care is a need and we have already seen as to why it is so after the mayhem we saw when suddenly social media erupted with the virus playing havoc with humanity. That took us back to thinking about what the world says. You have needs at the moment it is the medicinal care and treatment in the hospitals. You have as much right as the rich and the mighty. So don’t hesitate to satisfy your needs, indeed, expand your needs and demand more. This is the worldly doctrine of today. But in Mendhar the need is for an oxygen plant. Maybe the people did not know that a time would come that you would have to buy air to live but everything is right in front of our eyes. Had this oxygen been available so many people would not have died. Some may say that people in Mendhar are overreacting. They definitely are not. They are asking for what they want and need. They are not asking for themselves but for the humanity staying here who can get potentially infected. In fact any one can be!
That was why Advocate Nadeem Rafiq Hussein Khan came up to deliver a press conference on this urgent requirement and he had the following to say.
- It’s very unfortunate on the Part of the UT Jammu and Kashmir administration, health department that SDH Mendhar had submitted the DPR for the installation of an oxygen plant which was simply cast aside and was not approved. The reasons for the same are not known.
- Sub Division Mendhar of District Poonch has a population of more than one Lakh and it is still deprived of basic health facilities.
- BMO (Block Medical Officer) has explained the predicament to the senior authorities but he has never got a satisfactory reply and instead he cannot tell the same to the people who keep asking about the status time and again.
- Even in the recent instructions the government has said that it intended to create a 5 bed facility in each Panchayat with one oxygen cylinder in support. But it is surprising that it does not want to upgrade the InfraStructure of Hospitals of Sub division and their Primary Health Centers. This analogy is beyond the comprehension of the people. Maybe the administration has some brilliant ideas but their brilliance has not been able to control the spread of the virus which other than shattering the health care system has also devastated the subsequent follow ups where cremation stands at top of the deck.
- Nadeem further Stated that It’s come to the notice of the people that the Primary Health Centre at Bhathadurian was provided with an ambulance but it has gone missing for the last two years and is not there at the place it should be. It is believed that the same is attached to the office of the Director Health and the purpose of the same is not known. It should be found out because it is needed by the people and should not be used extensively for joy rides.
*It has also been brought to the forefront that there have been no arrangements made during the lockdown period for the transportation of corona vaccine and the medicines which are a necessity for the treatment.
- Also there are no transport facilities for the Junior health staff to travel to their respective health care centers when all public transport services are off the roads by the order of the Deputy Commissioner Poonch. Their transportation is a necessity since they are the ones who have to treat the patients.
- Nadeem Rafiq Khan requested the Hon’ble Lt. Governor Manoj Sinha, Commissioner Sec. Health and In charge Administrative Sec. District Poonch Development Dr. Shahid Iqbal Choudhary for their personal Intervention in upgrading the Infrastructure of PHC’s and also approval of the oxygen plant for Mendhar.
- All this will go a long way in improving the health care standards in the entire district Poonch in general and Sub Division Mendhar in particular. To be frank enough to admit our entire system is based on ad hoc arrangement. What can be done today is conveniently put off till tomorrow and thus things never happen. It is further based on restriction. Scarcity and inefficiency are the movers here and add to this favoritism. Invariably you will find that an equipment or an human resource available in abundance where the requirement is less. This reality is a social disease, for people who gain nothing. Efficiency, abundance and sustainability are enemies of our thinking and that is the reason why we are languishing. If we still do not learn from the carnage that this virus has caused, take it for granted that we will never learn! All roads are leading to that scenario!